Monday, August 31, 2026

THE APOSTOLIC CHARGE … based on James 1:22-25

 


Rande-Pastor

THE APOSTOLIC CHARGE


… based on James 1:22-25


I had an interesting conversation with my neighbor a couple of weeks ago.  He was telling me a little about his “spiritual” life.  He said, 

“I went to Church when I was a kid, but I don’t go to Church anymore.”  

He was talking about “going to Church.”


Now certainly that’s a familiar expression.  And actually, it’s one that most of us use, & we’ve used it all of our lives.  Mary George is on the phone talking to 1 of her kids yesterday afternoon.  “What are you doing tomorrow, 

Mom.”  “I’m going to Church.”  Leon’s talking to his neighbor this afternoon.

“I went to Church this morning.”  It’s what we all say … “I’m going to Church.”

But in reality, that presents a serious misunderstanding of what our gathering together should be all about.


Let me attempt to explain what I mean.  1st of all “church” is a noun.

And from elementary English class, we know that a noun is a person, place, 

or thing.  “Church” is a place.  “Come on, get up, let’s go to Church.”  

But that’s kind of passive.  

It suggests that we come into a building, sit down, & see what’s going on.


But is that what we’re called to do on Sunday morning?  Is that why we’re here?  To sit & look around?  Observe the activities that are taking place?


The very 1st Commandment is … “Worship no god but me.” (Exodus 20:3) 

We are called to worship, & worship is a verb.  And that requires an action on our part.  That’s why I’ve made a serious effort to change to phrase from … 

“I’m going to Church” to “I’m going to worship” … 

which in reality, is what all of us should be doing here.


This whole passive mindset on what some people “think” goes on here has been conditioned by a # of factors, starting with the Church building itself.

Even as kids we learn this little ditty: “here is the Church, 

here is the steeple, open the door, & here are the people.”


And sadly, the megachurches today promote this train of thought.  

We enter a huge auditorium.  We’re no longer in pews but in graduated seating with each row a little higher than the one in front of it, so that everyone has a good view of the “stage”.  And there is an orchestra up front, 

mood lighting, all kinds of audio/visual stuff, a huge choir, the preacher … 

& we sit back, ready to be entertained.


We’re no longer the congregation, we’ve become the audience, 

watching those on the stage perform. And God, I guess, is off in the wing, prompting the preacher & musicians with what to say & do.

Well, that’s completely wrong, theologically speaking.


Now we’ve talked about this before, but this is how it’s supposed to be.  

The congregation, you are the performers, you’ve come to worship (verb).

The preacher (me) & musicians (Debbie, & in some cases now, Laura) are the prompters.  It’s our job to assist you in that effort.  (And it’s why the music part is so important to me.  That’s when I get to worship.)  

And God is the audience.  He’s watching you (& me) worship Him.


And you actively worship by the songs you sing, the prayers you pray, 

the offering you give, & listening to Scripture & its’ application.

That’s what you do when you come here on Sunday morning.

And then having worshipped, we (& me) are ready to go out & live for Jesus.


So, with that as an introduction, listen now to Good News, from James 

to us worshipers.  Within our hearing comes the Word of the Lord …


Do not deceive yourselves by just listening to his word, instead, put it into practice.  If you listen to the word, but do not put it into practice you are like people who look in a mirror and see themselves as they are.  They take a good look at themselves and then go away and at once forget what they look like.  But if you look closely into the perfect law that sets people free, and keep on paying attention to it and do not simply listen and then forget it, but put it into practice – you will be blessed by God in what you do.

 (James 1:22-25)

Jesus said, “How happy are those who hear the word of God & obey it!” 

(Luke 11:28)


May the Lord grant that we may engage in contemplating the mysteries of His Heavenly wisdom with really increasing devotion, to His glory and to our edification. Amen


For about 50 years now, I have challenged congregations that have just worshipped, with these words, which I call the Apostolic Charge.


And now my friends, go out into the world in peace. Have courage.  

Hold on to what is good.  Return to no one evil for evil.  

Strengthen the fainthearted. Support the weak.  Help the suffering. 

Honor everyone.  

Love & serve the Lord, rejoicing in the power of The Holy Spirit.


Marana tha, our Lord come.  

And the grace of the Lord Jesus be with your spirit.  

And all the people say, “Amen.”


Those are individual phrases found at the end of the N.T. Letters, 

written by Paul, John, Peter, & James … who were Apostles.  

Then, having instructed their readers on what it means to follow Jesus, 

they concluded their correspondence with what they wanted them to do.


I have mentioned before that in one of the congregations that I served I had a former college quarterback.  And he told me that when I would give the Apostolic Charge at the conclusion of the worship service, it reminded him of his football coach addressing the team before sending them out to the field for the big game on Saturday afternoon.  


That’s a perfect illustration.  You’ve come here to worship, 

& having done that, you’re being sent out to “play” in the big “game”.


In fact, over the years I’ve seen several church parking lots with huge signs that inform those leaving their time of worship … 

“You are now entering the mission field.”  

That’s a terrific reminder of what our spiritual responsibility is.


So, let’s spend a couple of moments this morning looking at 

the Apostolic Charge, a phrase at a time.  

Go out into the world in peace.


Last words are important.  I have a book that contains the final words said by a # of people, famous & not so famous.

Last words often express what is most important to the person saying them.

It’s their final testimony/opportunity.


Many churches have Good Friday services which focus on the 7 words that Jesus spoke from the cross, His last words before He died.  But Jesus’ real final words are what’s known as “The Great Commission” which begins … 

“Go, then, to all peoples everywhere ….” (Matthew 28:19)

In other words, “go out into the world.”


Now the world is the Devil’s Kingdom.  Jesus refers to him as 

“the ruler of this world.” (John 12:31) Recognizing that probably explains a lot.


There are those who say that we’re not supposed to be part of the world, 

we’re to isolate ourselves … live in a Christian neighborhood, listen to Christian radio stations, read Christian books, shop at Christian stores, 

go to Christian schools, listen to Christian music, watch Christian movies …

& they use Paul’s words to justify this separation.


“Do not conform yourselves to the standards of this world.” (Romans 12:2)


But Paul’s just telling us that we’re not to “become part” of worldly things … which is so easy to do today.

Jesus clearly wants us to go out & tell of Him; be witnesses. (The Acts 1:8)


“You are like salt for the whole human race. … You are like light for the whole world … your light must shine before people, so that they will see 

the good things you do & praise your Father in heaven.” (Matthew 5:13-14,16)


So, how are we to go out into the world? … (in peace) What do you think that means? … (not aggressive, not defensive, not mean spirited)

We’re not to go stomping around arrogantly professing our “holiness”.


Jesus said …

“Peace is what I leave with you; it is my own peace that I give you.  I do not give it as the world does.  Do not be worried & upset; do not be afraid.” 

(John 14:27)

What is the peace of Jesus like? …

We see it in the final week of His earthly life.  Even when standing as a prisoner before Pilate & Herod & the chief priests, it’s clearly evident, even to them.  As He was entering the most terrible ordeal any human being ever experienced … He was still in control, & He talked about peace.


We can have that peace under any circumstance, 

because it’s not the kind of peace the world gives, or knows.


If I go to a Dr. & say, “I have no peace,”

he’ll/she’ll write me a prescription for a tranquilizer.  That’s chemical peace.

It’s artificial, dulls the senses & eventually wears off.


Another way the world gives peace is escapism.  Take a trip to HI, 

go skiing in CO, go sailing, play golf or tennis, go to Disneyworld, go shopping.


Back in the 60’s there was a song by Barry McGuire, “Eve Of Destruction.”  

(Some years later Barry came to faith & is writing Christian songs now.)  

Well, in “Eve Of Destruction” he mentions all the terrible things taking place on earth, & he says, “You may leave here for 4 days in space,

but when you return it’s the same old place.”

Certain activities might allow us to escape for a few moments, 

but when we return our troubles are still there.  There is no peace on earth, & what there is, is only temporary.  Jesus’ peace lasts forever.


Have courage.


Recent Gallop Poll shows that the majority of Americans are afraid,

i.e. health issues … economy … pollution … war … safety of our food …

the changing weather patterns, loss of control.  What are you afraid of? …

Jesus says, 

“The world will make you suffer.  But be brave!  I have defeated the world.” 

(John 16:33)


We’re to be brave.  We’re to have courage.  How can we do that?

This is where faith comes into play.  


A few moments ago, we sang “Trust & Obey” #454 … look at the words.  (v. 3)

Not a burden we bear, not a sorrow we share,

But our toil He doth richly repay;

Not a grief or a loss, not a frown or a cross,

But is blest if we trust & obey.


You sang those words … do you believe them?

We simply trust that Jesus has our back.


You remember the story of Peter walking on the water.  This is one of the great testimonies of faith.  Peter, you’re the man!  And then what happens?  Peter starts looking around.  He takes his eyes off Jesus & begins focusing on the wind & waves, & down he goes.  “Save me, Lord!” (Matthew 14:30)


What’s the takeaway lesson here?  Keep our eyes fixed on Jesus.


Hold on to what is good.


The word here means to “cling to”.  We’re to cling to good things.


Life is a battle.  There’s lots of good & bad in this world.  We’re pulled in 2 directions.  So, what do we surround ourselves with?  Happy things?  Sad things?  Positive things?  Negative things?  I am to surround myself with good things, good friends.  If fact, I’m to hold on them, cling to them.


Return to no one evil for evil.


This one may be the most practical of the phrases, & Blake has told me repeatedly, it hits him right between the eyes.  And he’s not the only one.  We live this every day in our responses.  Returning evil for evil creates classic lose-lose situation.  You insult me … I insult you … we both lose.

This is the whole deal with road rage.  And how about on the global scale?  You fire your nuclear warhead … I fire mine … we all lose.


So, how do we break the cycle?  One party has to risk a new approach.


Listen to Jesus’ words …

“Do not take revenge on someone who wrongs you.” (Matthew 5:39)


Wow, that’s a radical response!  But we don’t have an option.  

Jesus commands us to do this.

Strengthen the fainthearted.


“Fainthearted” … this is the only place in Scripture where this word occurs, & it means, literally, “little souls”.

It’s referring to those people who become easily discouraged or frightened.

We know many such people, & are ourselves at times.


Strengthening the fainthearted is part of our responsibility.  

So, how do we do that?  By reaching out to those who are struggling.


This was Kathy’s ministry up in Rolling Meadows, & she was good at it.  

If she heard of someone struggling: mentally, emotionally, relationally, 

physically, etc. she immediately wrote it down.  And then she made specific cards for that individual along with appropriate Scripture passages.  And she followed it up with cards once a week, in some cases for several months.

And she kept track of which cards she sent.  

Kathy strengthened the fainthearted.


Who do you know right now who is fainthearted?  

Imagine what a simple card, or phone call, 

or meeting them for a cup of coffee or tea would do for their wellbeing.


Support the weak.


“Weak” here means moral & spiritual weakness.  Our focus is often placed on those who are spiritually strong.  Sadly, Christians are one of the few groups that seem to “shoot their wounded.”  We kick them when they’re down.  This is supposed to be the place where the weak can come, & should be lifted up.  You’ve heard it said “a church is NOT a museum for saints … 

it’s a hospital for sinners.”


A.A. is a group that supports one another in their weakness.  There is no hidden secrets.  They are alcoholics.  I wish there was a sign over every church front door … “the weak are welcome here.”  We are all sinners. 

(Romans 3:10-12)


I also like the word “support”.  Paul doesn’t command us to “belittle the weak” or “reject the weak.”  We are to support them.  

Support gives the idea of “holding up”.  (i.e. crutches) 

Help the suffering.


Isn’t that Jesus’ way?  Empathy, taking eyes off of self.


This is why the Salvation Army has been such a wonderful ministry.  

Their founder William Booth knew that he had a responsibility to feed & clothe people just as much as he had to share the Gospel.  What good does it do to tell people about Jesus but then ignore their basic needs? (James 2:15-16)


Honor everyone.


Word “honor” means to commend, praise, respect, value.  And that’s not 

the world’s way.  World honors the powerful, rich, & influential.


I remember one congregation that I served.

After worship on Sunday morning, one of the elders rushed up to me,

& pointed to a man & his wife who were visiting.  “You need to call on him.  He’s one of the movers & shakers of our community.

We really could use them.  That’s somebody we want to have at our Church.”  We’re not quite as anxious to reach out to the down & outer are we?


I’m not telling you who, but many years ago, when I was a layperson, 

a religious organization, that you all have heard of, wanted to know how much money I made before deciding if I could join their group.

And I wasn’t making enough by the way.


And this was an issue with the disciples too.  I mean, 

they’re hanging out with Jesus.  They’re the ones right there, almost in the spotlight.  And they began to feel really important.  And before long they begin arguing among themselves as to which one of them is the greatest.


Jesus sat down, called the 12 disciples, & said to them, ‘whoever wants 

to be 1st must place himself last of all & be the servant of all.” (Mark 9:35)


And then He washes the disciples’ feet! (John 13:4-5)


So, who are we commanded to honor? … (everyone)


Someone told me once that we can learn a lot about a person when we see how they treat: cashiers, waitresses, (Sam’s checkout), etc.

Love & serve the Lord,


Jesus says this is the Great Commandment …

“Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, 

with all your mind, & with all your strength.” (Mark 12:30)


Wow!  And not just love … but serve.  No retirement from Christian service.

How are you serving the Lord right now in your life?


rejoicing in the power of The Holy Spirit.


We’re not simply to be happy, we’re to rejoice.  That’s another action word.


Paul writes … “May you always be joyful in your union with the Lord, 

I say it again: rejoice!” (Philippians 4:4)


The word “rejoice” means to celebrate.  Think for a moment …

when was the last time you celebrated?  Do you remember what was involved in that celebration?  You were happy, right?  Excited!


Paul states, “may you always be joyful in your union

with the Lord, I say it again: celebrate!”


Now he’s not telling us to go around with plastic smiles on our faces.  

But we do know the end of the story.  And in case you’ve forgotten … we win!

Well, Jesus wins, & because we believe in Him, we share in the victory celebration.  It’s called the Wedding Feast Of The Lamb. (The Revelation 19:6-9) 


(And in a few moments, we will have a preview of that as we celebrate 

the Sacrament of the Lord’s Supper.)


 in the power of The Holy Spirit.


What do we mean by “the power of The Holy Spirit”?  Jesus said, 

“When the Holy Spirit comes upon you, you will be filled with power ….” 

(The Acts 1:8)


What is the power of The Holy Spirit?

It means that we have the spiritual strength at our disposal to overcome evil.  I’m thankful that God has saved me (future), but I love the knowledge that God will help me in this life with my decisions that affect my future.

This is Almighty God working in us & through us!


Marana tha – Our Lord, come!


Early believers proclaimed that at the end of their worship times … they anticipated Jesusreturn.  

This plaque is by my backdoor.  I see it everyday.

Are you expecting/awaiting Jesus’ return?

Would we be living differently if we knew it was today?


And then with my hands raised I say …


The grace of the Lord Jesus be with your spirit.


In the N.T. when someone was sent out to minister in the name of the Lord the Apostles laid their hands on them so that they would receive The Holy Spirit. (The Acts 8:17) 

When I raise my hands, it is symbolically sending you out with God’s blessing.


These are Paul’s last words to his young disciple, Timothy.  

He commends him to the presence & Spirit of the Lord & as always, 

offers him grace.  No better way to conclude.

G – R – A – C – E

(God’s – Riches – At – Christ’s – Expense)


And all the people say, “Amen.”


Which means: so let it be … I agree with that.


MARANA THA

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

THE APOSTOLIC CHARGE … based on James 1:22-25

  THE APOSTOLIC CHARGE … based on James 1:22-25 I had an interesting conversation with my neighbor a couple of weeks ago.  He was telling me...